VERY interesting job opportunity:
Manager - Water Scarcity
Jeff Skoll launched the Skoll Global Threats Fund in 2009 to tackle the world’s most pressing issues. With Dr. Larry Brilliant as President, the Skoll Global Threats Fund has a mandate to drive large-scale global change on the most critical issues facing mankind. The new organization will identify and support innovative high-impact initiatives to combat climate change, water scarcity, pandemics, nuclear proliferation and Middle East conflict. The Skoll Global Threats Fund has headquarters in San Francisco, California.
The Manager - Water Scarcity will be the content specialist for the Skoll Global Threats Fund on water scarcity, one of the Fund's five "global threats." She/he will help shape and manage the Fund's strategy, networks, grantmaking, and policy approaches to water issues. She/he will also be interested in how the challenges and opportunities of water scarcity diverge and converge with the other global threats that the fund has identified and how we, as a society, can more effectively tackle the complex common challenges they present. She/he will share our belief that emerging and existing global threats share common challenges in areas like risk management, risk communications, policy making on issues of low probability/high consequence, leadership and governance. This position will work closely with the Chief Scientist, the VP for Alliances/Partnership, the Director of Policy and Communications, and the Director, Global Health Threats. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Serve as the Fund's primary content specialist on water.
• Build and maintain a world-class network of relationships with key players in the water arena (NGOs, philanthropic, government, private sector).
• Follow and assess key developments in water scarcity issues globally and the current science breakthroughs.
• Follow and assess legislative and regulatory developments in the water sphere, both at the US level and internationally.
• Provide input to the Fund's strategic planning process and shape the water scarcity components of the Fund's high-level goals.
• Research grantmaking opportunities in the water scarcity sphere; conduct due diligence and make grant recommendations; manage grant relationships; assess impact.
• Work with a cross-functional team to explore project development ideas for the Fund.
• Represent the Fund at water meetings.
• Contribute to internal and key constituent communications on water scarcity.
• Help shape and manage Fund-supported public campaigns around water.
• Coordinate Foundation founder, CEO and board interactions having to do with water issues.
• Help drive organizational efficiencies, impact and overall improvements.
Knowledge, skills, and assets
• 5+ years working on water issues.
• Ability to translate from strategic imperatives to tactical realities.
• Strong personal networks in the water arena.
• Understanding of policy environment around water issues and literacy on key water scarcity issues.
• Experience in making, managing and measuring grants is preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; desire and ability to work in a collaborative team environment
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Comfortable expressing opinions in a setting that encourages a vibrant exchange of ideas.
• Self-starter with the desire and proven ability to work in a start-up organization with an intense, results-oriented environment.
• A strongly developed sense of integrity, humility and discretion.
• Available for international travel.
Education and Experience
An advanced degree in a relevant subject is required. At least five years of progressively responsible experience in a government, multilateral agency, corporate, or social sector environment. Experience managing strategic and operational relationships with external partners.
A competitive compensation package will be commensurate with background.
Send a cover letter and resume to: mskarenrea (at) gmail (dot) com. Please specify Manager, Water Scarcity in the message subject line. We will contact qualified applicants. In your cover letter please tell us how your specific experiences and accomplishments address our needs and mission.